Gynaecology & Pregnancy Choices
This is a general gynaecological outpatients clinic. It is no longer just a pre-admissions clinic for planned gynaecological surgery.
Conditions for referral include but are not limited to:
- Heavy menstrual bleeding/postmenopausal bleeding
- Pelvic pain
- Gynaecological pelvic masses for investigation and management
- Urinary incontinence
- Basic fertility counselling and investigation
- Contraception- e.g. IUD and surgical
- Vulval and genital tract lesions
- General gynaecological counseling
- Colposcopy for abnormal cervical screening
- Gynaecological surgery
The current wait time for routine referrals is within six months, while urgent referrals can be seen in four weeks or less. Colposcopy is available to all patients not just Health Care Card holders.
If surgery is required, this will be arranged via the gynaecology clinic
The Women’s Service Gynaecology department offers surgical abortion/termination up to 14 weeks gestation.
This is coordinated through the Choices clinic, staffed by doctors, sexual health nurses, and options counselors.
We request the following to streamline the referral:
- Blood group;
- STI screening; and
- Dating ultrasound, if possible.
Contraceptive counseling is integral, and we would appreciate your assistance in facilitating LARC provision by providing information to the patient prior to their appointment.
We do not offer early medical abortion, as this is a primary care procedure, but we support community MS2Step providers if surgical intervention is required.
Contact for urgent advice:
Social Work Department - Ph 4215 0777
Gynaecology registrar through Switchboard - Ph 4215 0000
Gynaecology outpatients, Friday 9am-12pm - Ph 4215 1396
For patients who require reassessment regarding the timing of appointment/surgery or to provide a clinical/social update, a new referral should be faxed through. In order to facilitate access the new referral must contain the following information:
- State the referral is an update for a current patient
- Date of the original referral
- Reason for requesting a review of referral. Eg. deterioration in clinical condition, social hardship pathology
- The GP will be notified of the outcome of the re-triage process.
Last Modified: Thursday, 16 November 2023
Address: Outpatients Department, Bellerine Centre Level 3, Geelong Hospital
Phone numbers: If you wish to refer a patient to the Choices clinic, please phone 03 4215 0777
Fax referrals for the Choices clinic to: 03 4215 0806
GP Hotline for urgent bookings: If you wish to discuss the triage of your patient or require additional information about your patient's referral, please ring the GP hotline on 03 4215 1398 (for doctors only).
Fax: 03 4215 1383