- Your career
- Our people
- Our culture
- Our benefits
- Career development
- Moving to our region
- Graduate Careers
- Careers for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- Careers in Aged Care
- Careers in Allied Health
- Careers in Cancer Services
- Careers at Cherry Creek Youth Justice Precinct
- Careers in Nursing
- Careers in Nursing - Emergency
- Careers in Nursing - ICU
- Careers in Maternity Services
- Careers in Medicine
- Careers in Mental Health
- Careers in Operating Services
- Careers in Support Services
- Nursing Careers in Permanent Pool and Casual Bank
- Careers for International Candidates
- Consumer Advisors
- Volunteer Opportunities
Our people are the most critical component of our long-term success. So it’s no surprise how much time and effort we put into creating a comprehensive benefits package for all team members.
Our benefits are designed to take care of you and maintain or improve your wellbeing. From your health to your career we’re here to support your development holisitcally.
Diversity and Inclusion
Barwon health is one of the largest, most comprehensive and diverse health services in Australia. We are the largest employer in our region and take pride in recruiting and nurturing a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Flexible working arrangements
We offer staff the opportunity to balance their working and home lives, and still work in an environment they enjoy and want to be a part of. You can work full-time, part-time or casual; business hours or night shift to achieve your personal and professional goals.
We offer a wide variety of leave options which may include accrued days off, paid paternity or maternity leave, personal leave, bereavement leave, study leave, domestic violence support, cultural and ceremonial leave.
Barwon Health is one of the largest and most comprehensive regional health services in Australia. We provide leadership and health services across the Barwon South West Region.
We respectfully acknowledge the traditional owners of the land we work and live on, the Wadawurrung peoples of the Kulin Nation. They have looked after and cared for this country for over a thousand generations, and are still caring for it to this very day.
Geelong (traditionally known as Djilang by the Wadawurrung peoples) is home to our primary sites: University Hospital Geelong located centrally, and the McKellar Centre in North Geelong. However, Barwon Health services are located at over 31 sites around our region.
For staff, we offer discounted parking, bike parking, end of trip change facilities; we have convenient public transport and are located only a short walk from free all day parking.
The region is characterised by the multi-award winning Waterfront overlooking Corio Bay, the picturesque Bellarine Peninsula, the Barwon River, You Yangs Regional Park, wetlands, beautiful parklands and wildlife sanctuaries.
Geelong is also the gateway to the world renowned coastline of south-west Victoria via the Great Ocean Road.
Under Australian Taxation Legislation, Barwon Health is able to offer employees the opportunity to access tax concessions via Salary Packaging.
Salary Packaging allows employees to pay for certain items from their pre-tax salary. When Barwon Health employee’s salary package they reduce their taxable income, therefore increasing their take-home pay.
At Barwon Health, we offer a wide range of Salary Packaging options including:
- Living Expenses (capped at $9010)
- Meal Entertainment Expenses (capped at $2650)
- Portable Devices & Relocation Expenses (manager approved)
Employees of Barwon Health can find out more about the Salary Packaging options offered to them by visiting the Salary Packaging website (login details are included in your New Employee Introduction Pack sent via email)
Learn more > barwon-health.benefitsplus.com.au
Staff Activities Club
The Barwon Health Staff Activities Club (SAC) offers a range of regular social activities and access to discounted tickets for events big and small.
- Discounted tickets for theatre, concerts and events
- Deals for big local events such as Avalon Air show and football games
- Annual family Christmas party with gifts, food and rides
- Social evening events such as dinners, happy hour and trivia
- Discounted movie tickets
Barwon Health cares for the carers by offering the convenience and benefits of an onsite health service for staff. StaffCare is an accredited general practice, staffed by GPs, physiotherapists, practice nurses, a practice manager and receptionists.
StaffCare is conveniently located onsite at University Hospital Geelong in the Kitchener House precinct. Operating Monday to Friday we provide a full range of clinical services for all Barwon Health employees, such as:
- General clinical services
- Women’s health
- Doctor’s health
- Return to work support
- Injury management including physiotherapy
- Travel health
- Health checks
- Smoking cessation support
Our clinic accepts bookings made via the HotDoc app.
At Barwon Health, we understand the importance of recognising the achievements of our people. We have formal recognition programs such as Length of Service Awards and our Annual Barwon Best Care Awards as well as informal initiatives such as the Living Our Values peer recognition cards and our ‘Heartitude’ peer to peer gratitude conversations and gifts.
Support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
Barwon Health is located on the lands of the Wadawurrung peoples of the Kulin Nation. We have an experienced Aboriginal Health Unit which includes a dedicated Aboriginal Workforce Officer. Their role is to help support you in your career at Barwon Health, and feel confident as you become part of a culturally responsive organisation.
Our people are at the core of everything we do. That's why we invest in a range of holistic wellbeing opportunities that help you through all the ups and downs of work and life.
- Mental wellbeing: 24 hour Employee Assistance Program, Mental Health First Aid Training, Wurru Ki peer led conflict resolution, supporting resources
- Physical wellbeing: fitness provider discounts and onsite activities, secure bike parking and end of trip facilities, organisational step challenges, free vaccinations and StaffCare services
- Social wellbeing: Staff Activities Club, team based social events, links with community groups, LGBTIQA+ social group, staff tea rooms and private break spaces
- Financial wellbeing: Resources and supports, salary packaging, webinars
- Spiritual wellbeing: Spirituality centre and spaces for reflection, mindfulness practice
- Developmental wellbeing: from professional development, to leadership development, to opportunities to be a representative for our organisation we aim to develop our people and help them grow.
Last Modified: Tuesday, 18 July 2023